James is a specialist commercial property solicitor who deals with all aspects of property sales and acquisitions. He also has an expertise in company law focusing on the sale and purchase of businesses.
James’s fully committed approach is appreciated by commercial clients who require technical work to be undertaken by reference to short time scales.
Areas of expertise
James’s core practice includes:
- Purchases and sales of commercial property and development land
- All aspects of non-contentious landlord and tenant matters
- Securitisation work
- Business purchases and sales
- Share purchases and sales
- Shareholders’ agreements
- Drafting of bespoke commercial agreements
- Company administration and meetings
- Company formation and constitution
- Corporate governance, directors duties
- Share capital: structure, allotment and transfers
- Shareholder rights and remedies.
James’s experience includes:
- The purchase of a hotel in Greater Manchester as a going concern by way of an asset purchase for a purchase price of £3milllion
- The purchase of the entire share capital of a property letting business comprising of over 30 properties for the purchase price of £2.7 million
- Acting for a development finance provider on the securitisation of a complex mixed-use development with a loan value of £2.5 million
- The completion of the purchase of development land conditional on planning permission, dealing with the development funding and subsequent sale of 15 plots.
- The negotiation and acquisition of development land from a Local Authority by way of a long lease, funded by Homes England and subsequent sale to a prominent Housing Authority.
- Advising on the purchase of a block management agency and residential sales and letting business with a performance-based purchase price
- Securing an option and subsequent purchase of a large warehouse in Liverpool City Centre for the purchase price of £2.8million.
- Acting on the sale of a large multi-let industrial estate for the sale price of £6.5million
James graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University with a 2:1 in Law before achieving a distinction on the Legal Practice Course in 2008. He then spent several years living overseas where he set up a recruitment company introducing English teachers to schools across South Korea. He returned to England in 2014 and carried out his training contract at a highly regarded Northwest firm before working as a leading property solicitor at another Northwest practice.